Thursday, January 28, 2016

Thursday Movie Picks #81: Movies Adapted from Movies of a Different Language



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share three movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each.For further details visit the series main page here.


---


This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Movies Adapted from Movies of a Different Language (eg French to English, English to Chinese)

---



So this is challenging, most of the remakes I've seen are usually horror titles,. I'm to try my best to steer away from them with this week's picks

Dangerous Liaisons (2012)
I guess this is a cheat somewhat, since it's more of a new adaptation of a book rather than from a movie, but while I know there has been quite a number of non-English language remakes of English language movie, this is the only one which I've seen both the the English adaptations, and now the non-English one, so I just had to include it. This version transplants the story from 18th century France to 1930s Shanghai. While it is a pretty looking movie, the 30s costuming and sets are all very beautiful, I think it lacks tension and probably needs a better Valmont too because I can't help but compare it to the 1988 movie which had Malkovich as Valmont who, not like I've read the book, but seemed perfect as Valmont with his rakish charm and that voice.

The Lake House (2006)
The Korean movie was very popular when it was released but I still haven't had a chance to see it. Can't say I remember much of this remake either, which I haven't seen since 2006. What I do remember was Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves reuniting again on screen was made quite a big deal.

Passion (2012)
I haven't seen the original, but this remake is so bad. Watching this reminded me of The Happening, the whole movie feels like a joke, like it can't possibly be real, did someone really pass this as an actual movie or are they pranking us. Everything in it is so awkward. The actors are just reading lines and everything just feels disconnected to everything else.
---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

---

Check out some of my random Thursday Movie Picks

Thursday Movie Picks #7: Dramatic Scenes   
Thursday Movie Picks #16: Haunted Buildings       
Thursday Movie Picks #24: Movies Driven Entirely by People Talking
Thursday Movie Picks #14: Found Footage Movies
Thursday Movie Picks #22: Movies that Feature a Family Secret


---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

14 comments:

  1. I was thinking about The Lake House, its a weird concept but I enjoyed it. I wanted to see the original too, might have to go on the old watch list. I've heard good things about Love Crime, the film Passion is based on. Now I know to avoid the remake. Dangerous Liaisons also looks interesting but I haven't even sat through the whole of the American one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like Love Crime should be better, if not why would they ever want to remake it in the first place.

      Delete
  2. I still need to see Dangerous Liaisons, but I'll probably continue to skip the other two. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's going to be a hard task for me :D I didn't even know that "The Lake House" is based on a Korean movie... Shame on me :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lake House is one of my choices too, I haven't seen the original though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of any of these (I'm expecting to say this a lot this week) but The Lake House sounds worth a watch! :)
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen any of your choices this week, though I remember the Lake House being in theaters. I'm not sure why I mised it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen any of these although I've seen two different versions of Dangerous Liaisons, the Glenn Close one as well as Colin Firth's Valmont. I've considered The Lake House several times because I loved Keanu and Sandra Bullock in Speed but it always seemed so drippy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see Valmont. I have to say I don't really see Firth as a Valmont so I'm curious.

      Delete
  8. I've only seen The Lake House. The first time I've seen it I loved it (I was 14). I've watched it recently and it disappointed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it since. Was it over sentimental?

      Delete
  9. Dangerous Liaisons is such a good movie and so memorable.I have seen parts of The Lake House but it's so ughhhh. I haven't seen the last one but have seen The Happening which sucked so I think shall pass

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wanted to see Dangerous Liaisons. Need to get that one. The other two just don't really appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...