Friday, August 4, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #160: Crime Family



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.


---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Crime Family 

---



I don't watch a lot of gangster movies, which are often about crime families, so my pool of movies to pick from are very limited.

Animal Kingdom (2010)
I've picked this before for other themes. Anyway...the gist: when a teen boy's mom dies, his only choice other than being homeless is to move in with his grandma and uncles, the very people that his mom had tried keep him away from when she was alive. Such a great movie. It has also been made into a TV series recently, which changed the setting from Australia to the US. I've seen the first season and I think it's good.

Road to Perdition (2002)
Another favourite which I have often pick. It's about two sets of fathers and sons, their life of crime and the complications it brings to their relationships.

The Newton Boys (1998)
I really don't remember much about this other than I had found it entertaining and they're brothers so it fits the theme.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers
 

13 comments:

  1. I also chose Animal Kingdom, I haven't watched the American TV show but i Liked the film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV show is good. You like Peaky Blinders right? The actor that plays the nephew is the boy in this...it's quite a similar role.

      Delete
  2. Can't believe I didn't think of Road to Perdition! Could be because I haven't seen it since it came out, but it's a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy Animal Kingdom is all over the place today, didn't even occur to me but then I wasn't a huge fan of the film. Still it's a very good fit.

    Road to Perdition is another terrific fit. Haven't seen it in a long time but it is an excellent film and was a fine way for Paul Newman to close out his movie career.

    I thought The Newton Boys was so much "Let's put on Daddy's old clothes and pretend to be mobsters" with surface performances and archaic action. It blends right into the theme though.

    I went a bit further back and had really expect my first pick to show up more but so far I haven't seen it.

    Bonnie & Clyde (1967)-Seminal, trend-setting drama of the criminal pair who terrorized the heartland during the depression with Clyde’s brother and his wife. Stylish and ultra-violent this made Warren Beatty a major player in Hollywood, a star of Faye Dunaway, moved Gene Hackman considerably up the ladder as Buck Barrow and won Estelle Parsons a Best Supporting Actress Oscar as Buck’s screeching wife Blanche.

    White Heat (1949)-James Cagney stars as Cody Jarrett a psychotic gangster with a mother fixation in one of the best crime noirs of the 40’s. An utterly ruthless man who thinks nothing of gunning down an unarmed man he is prone to violent headaches, an incipient signal of total madness, that can only be soothed by sitting on Ma Jarrett’s (a chilling Margaret Wycherly) knee as she strokes his head. Sent to prison after being caught during their last job Cody is a targeted man both by the undercover agent (Edmund O’Brien) who has been planted to befriend him and one of his henchmen (Steven Cochran) and Cody’s grasping wife Verna (Virginia Mayo) who want to take over the gang. Breaking out he sets out to reassert his dominance during the robbery of a chemical plant payroll but things spiral out of control leading to a fiery climax. Classic Cagney.

    Ma Barker’s Killer Brood (1960)-Exploitation version of the Barker clan headed by the ruthlessly murderous Ma (Lurene Tuttle). Revisionist in the extreme showing the gang working with John Dillinger, Pretty Boy Floyd and Baby Face Nelson though there’s no proof that they knew any of them in reality. Still it’s a trim little crime caper with Lurene Tuttle, who usually played sweet best friends and sensible mothers, having a grand old time tearing into the merciless and deranged mastermind. She rules her boys with an iron fist mocking any sign of weakness and not sparing the corporeal punishment to all if she thinks it necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes...I do remember the Newton Boys being light.

      Delete
  4. I almost picked Road to Perdition because it is such a great film. I don't really care to see Animal Kingdom but would like to see The Newton Boys one day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...why don't you want to see Animal Kingdom? It's really good.

      Delete
  5. Road to Perdition is soooooo good. I love that movie. Haven't seen the other two, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also picked Animal Kingdom. It is very good! I'm considering giving the show a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I think the TV show might just surprise you. I didn't expect to like it because, the movie is just so so good, but the series does a lot of interesting stuff.

      Delete
  7. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks...
    www.letmewatchthismoviedownloads

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...