Friday, December 22, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks #180: 2018 Movies You're Looking Forward To



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is 2018 Movies You're Looking Forward To

---

For those of you unaware, the preliminary 2018 Thursday Movie Picks Schedule is up.

I haven't really been up to date on upcoming releases so there are probably some that have escaped my radar and even of my picks here, I've not seen any of the trailers for those that have ones.

The Bell Jar (2018)
To be directed by Kirsten Dunst, with Dakota Fanning playing Esther. A few years ago there was supposed to be one with Julia Stiles as Esther, so I don't know if this is the same thing just with a different cast and crew, but whatever, I read the book a long time ago and have been wanting to see an adaptation.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle (2018)
I love the title, it's so intriguing isn't it? Which was why I read the book (plus the book has some beautiful covers) and so yes I am looking forward to the movie. The gist: two sisters live with their uncle in happy isolation after a tragedy, that is until a cousin arrives insisting on change. It's a slow burn short novel that's haunting and creepy that could make a really good movie.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before (2018)
The book is sweet and cute and I think the movie could be the same. The gist: A teen girl's secret love letters (ones that were never meant to be sent) get mysteriously mailed out to her crushes. 

Winchester (2018)
Ever heard of the Winchester Mystery House? Look it up if you haven't. This is about the woman that built the house and why she built it. 

The New Mutants (2018) / X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2018)
I'm just going to lump this two together. I still am generally tired of superhero titles, but I love the X-Men, so I am still looking forward to these.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

11 comments:

  1. I love the X-Men but because of that disappointing/pathetic X-Men: Apocalypse I don't care much about them. I think I'll still watch them though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am suffering major Superhero burnout so that leaves the last one out for me and The Bell Jar is bound to be a suffocatingly dreary experience but those middle three all sound entertaining. I'm particularly intrigued by Winchester, I've read about the house before.

    I don't get a chance to go to the movie theatre as much as I once did so I'm not as up on what's coming but these three are ones I plan on making time for.

    Oceans 8-Femimine reworking of the fun Brad Pitt/George Clooney heist flick Oceans 11 (though why they couldn’t find 3 more famous women to make up the original number is troubling) itself a reworking of the Rat Pack original. As long as it keeps that sense of humor this should be a jolly time at the movies with hopefully a smooth tie-in of Matt Damon’s character from the other film.

    Mary Poppins Returns-The magical nanny returns to help the children of the now grown children she cared for in the original classic. Apparently great care has been taken to protect the memory of the first with an amazing cast, including in some capacity Dick Van Dyke & Angela Lansbury (yeah). It will be tough to capture the special whimsy of the first but it will be interesting to see the attempt.

    Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story-In festival showing this documentary about the legendary movie star beauty who was sharp as a whip and an avid inventor (responsible for much of the basis of what is modern day internet technology) but whom was not taken seriously because of that same ravishing exterior has been acclaimed. She considered her beauty a cage from which she couldn’t escape and when faced with narrow minded comments about the improbability that a woman who looked as she did could also have a strong mind she replied “If I am a ‘new Hedy’ as some say, it is because they are seeing me as I really am, not looking at the outside of me.” Scheduled for a theatrical release early in 2018 this sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ocean movies just weren't memorable for me so the female version is not something I care about either.

      Mary Poppins Returns - I definitely want to. Hope it is good with some wonderful songs as well.

      Delete
  3. I haven't cared about an X-Men film (minus Logan) since X2 but New Mutants looks like an interesting spin on it. I'll probably see that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. X-Men - I love the characters because of the 90s cartoons so I think I will always be interested in the X-Men movies.

      New Mutants I think is based on it's own comic in the X-Men universe. Hope it's good.

      Delete
  4. I'm so uncultured - not familiar with any of these titles outside the two X-men flicks. I will check those out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah...3 of them are based on books and I tend to keep a look out for the adaptations of the ones I've read.

      Delete
  5. I didn't think of a lot of these - haven't been keeping an eye on the whats coming out. We've always lived in a castle sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These movies sound great, can't wait for The Bell Jar adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve been so busy with Christmas that I am trying to get back to blogging. These sound like great movies to see. I know all about the Winchester hOuse and it is on my bucket list to see. It is one creepy house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right. Doors that lead to nowhere and all.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...