Friday, January 5, 2018

Thursday Movie Picks #182: Character Name in Title



Hello there and welcome to Thursday Movie Picks a weekly series where you share your movie picks each Thursday. The rules are simple: based on the theme of the week pick three to five movies and tell us why you picked them. For further details and the schedule visit the series main page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Character Name in Title

---



If you're participating here today, you must have seen the 2018 schedule. Do also take note that the updated schedule is different from the preliminary one not only with the new additions but I have also rearranged some of the themes.

Back to today's picks. I'm doing a theme with a theme thing. Single word titles and I'm picking the ones I like.

Rebecca (1940)
Since I can't pick Jane Eyre, here's a Jane Eyre-esque one about a young bride "haunted" by her husband's first wife called Rebecca.

Adam (2009)
Charming movie about Adam a man with Asperger's syndrome who develops a romantic relationship with his neighbour.

Barbara (2012)
Set in 1980's East Germany, Barbara, a doctor, is under surveillance by the Stasi as she is flagged as a potential defector after applying for an exit visa to join her boyfriend who lives in the West. It's so quiet and subtle but still scary.

Belle (2013)
I love period dramas so here's one with a story not often seen in period dramas: Belle is about a mixed-raced orphan raised by her aristocratic great uncle in 18th century England.

---

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

--- 

Participating Blogs/Bloggers

9 comments:

  1. I watched Barbara years ago and I remember liking it. Rebecca is a little overrated in my opinion but it's still a fine film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I may have watched Barbara but I'm not 100% sure. It looks really familiar. I've had Belle in my Netflix queue for a while, I'll eventually get to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same single word thing too, and we didn't even match one movie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca is a good film but as Hitchcock movies go its far from my favorite despite an absolutely brilliant turn by Judith Anderson as the scary Mrs. Danvers.

    I haven't seen Adam or Barbara though I've been meaning to get to Adam for a while but I did like Belle quite a bit. I came to it through a recommendation during one of the themes.

    I did a theme within the theme as well influenced by my first choice, a long time favorite of mine.

    Mary, Mary (1963)-Struggling New York book publisher Bob McKellaway (Barry Nelson-who is fine but his role has Jack Lemmon’s name all over it) is getting ready to marry his socialite fiancée Tiffany (a knockout Diane McBain) as soon as his divorce from first wife Mary (Debbie Reynolds) comes though. However his accountant Oscar (a delightful Hiram Sherman) requests Mary come up from Philadelphia for the day to straighten out some tax issues before the decree becomes final. Once together Bob and Mary start to jab wittily at each other and before you know it their attraction starts to resurface aided by the attentions to Mary of movie star and prospective author Dirk Winsten (Michael Rennie) and an inconvenient snowstorm. Betrays its stage origins (the play ran for over 1500 performances) but is often clever and witty. Both Rennie and Nelson repeat their Broadway roles.

    Rachel, Rachel (1968)-Rachel Cameron (Joanne Woodward) is a lonely middle-aged schoolteacher. Never married and still a virgin she lives a life of quiet desperation with her widowed mother over the funeral home left to them by her father. Over summer vacation she goes to a revival meeting with her best friend fellow teacher Calla (Estelle Parsons) during which she has an epiphany and begins to emerge from her shell taking her life in unexpected directions. Directed by Paul Newman as a vehicle for his wife this received four Oscar nominations including ones for Woodward, Parsons and Best Picture.

    Corrina, Corrina (1994)-Widower Manny Singer (Ray Liotta) is frustrated in his search for a nanny for his young daughter who has withdrawn into herself since her mother’s death and stopped speaking. When Corrina Washington (Whoopi Goldberg) applies she is able to break through the child’s reserve and is hired. As time passes she and Manny discover an attraction and grow closer but all does not go smoothly.

    And to show this is not strictly a female happenstance:

    Buddy Buddy (1981)-Trabucco (Walter Matthau) a hitman on a job to rub out a Mob informant before he testifies is waylaid by Victor Clooney (Jack Lemmon), the suicidal guy in the hotel room next door. Once he talks him off the ledge he plans to jump from their lives become intertwined and nothing goes as planned. Billy Wilder’s final film as director would seem to have everything needed to succeed, a reteaming of Lemmon and Matthau, a quality supporting cast and the great man himself behind the camera but even he admitted that it was more or less a miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, didn't know there are quite a number of movies with repeated names. I haven't seen any of them.

      Delete
  5. I've only seen Belle. I didn't love it, but I enjoyed it. That's something I can't say for the majority of period dramas. I really need to see Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Rebecca and I wished I had lived in That home. I have not seen any of the others but Belle and Barbara are 2 I’d like to see especially Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manderlay? Yes, large houses with lots of secrets.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...